Saturday, February 6, 2010

An uncertain beginning...

This was our first attempt as a family to ski. I have not skiied in 9 years, Jack has never skiied and the girls' first year was last year. We all know Michael got to ski in Austria by himself while I was in Suffracuse taking care of his children :)
We decided to hit a mountain close to home to make it a day trip. We picked Feldberg, Germany in the Black Forest (about 1 1/2 hours from home). By the way, how many 8 year olds do you know that would ask, "hey mom where are we going skiing this weekend...the Black Forest"? It is known as family friendly and a good mountain for beginners and advanced (guess which one I fall under).
Now as we approach the mountain, we notice there are ALOT of cars parked on the side of the road and all the people are carrying skis, poles and helmets and wearing their ski boots...hmmm?? Come to find out, there are no ski lockers you gotta carry what you want to bring. So my thoughtful husband says, "why don't I drop you and kids off with all the ski stuff and I'll park?". Wanting to stay together as a family because I just can't take a moment without him, I say, "no it will be fine"...BIG MISTAKE! We had to park a little less than half a mile away oh and by the way, we had to walk up hill! So we packed pockets with the sandwiches we made that morning and started off.
Let's just say the start was not so smooth. Molly was a trooper because she is in love with skiing. Jack started crying that his feet hurt before we even got past the car behind ours. Gracie refused to carry anything because everything was too heavy and she hated skiing anyway. Now I know you are all jealous at this point, but it was our fun to be had (oh and we did not have a flask either). Jack ended up with his ski boots on on Michael's shoulders (who by the way was also carrying 2 sets of skis, poles and a helmet or two...he's so strong:)
The lift tickets were not too expensive at all. They get you with the food and drink. The kids waters were about $4.50 each!!! But I'm sure it was delicious! Oh and they get you on the bathroom. No kidding you had to pay 50 Euro cent (about 75 cents) to use the bathroom. Needless to say, Jack used the "outdoor facilities".
I got to ski with Molly who is a speed demon, and Michael chose early Sainthood by trying to teach Gracie and Jack on the smaller hills. After Molly and I came down from our first run, Jack was trying to ski with Michael and Gracie was sitting down with skis and helmet off tryying to fill the helmet with snow. Hmmmmm...
Eventually Gracie and Jack were smiling and skiing
Molly and I had to use the T bar to get to the top of the mountain. The last time I used one of those I shut it down for a couple minutes because I kept "sitting" and not "leaning back" on the bar. It was a very tough concept for me at 20 OK!! Molly of course catches right on. However, once she stumbled a little but held on. I was behind her trying to help her get back up. Finally she said, it's fine mom, I'll just let it drag me to the top. sooo I took a picture! She is smiling in it by the way.
All in all great day and we packed up to leave. The kids settled in and pulled out the little dvd player to watch their movie. We ask about the day and they all agree they had a great time. About 15 minutes later Michael says, "Molly, Gracie, Jack I had a really great day with you three". Molly says, "me too dad". Jack says, "uh, can I just watch my movie".
On the way back we made our pit stop at the schnappsmuseum and picked up a little something. I believe it is a Cherry schnapps and although I have never claimed to be a schnapps person, oh my goodness is it good!! We have Gus to thank for the pit stop!
Alrighty, my shins are bruised, my legs are rubber and I don't think I'll be able to walk tomorrow. But we are gonna try it again next weekend...France or Switzerland! By the way, Gpa Lintz would be proud, I did wall sits to prepare for this one!!
until next time...









No comments:

Post a Comment