Friday, February 19, 2010

Seriously, how hard can it be....

It's been 2 months since I have gotten a haircut. While to some that may seem like nothing, to me and my sister Michelle it is a painful eternity to us waiting and hoping to find time to get a some help with our lifeless hair!! Short straight hair does not do well unkempt.
I have been wearing my pink winter hat to pick up and drop off Jack to cover the flat mess that lies underneath. The weather is starting to get nice now and people are starting to wonder if Voldermort is under my hat. And so it is time...
Just like every time anyone moves to a new area, you find cute hair and ask where they got theirs cut. Well, if this is any indication of how things are here I was at the library with the girls and the Librarian said "your hair is so cute, where do you get it cut?". Hmmmm, yeah. So I told her I was in the process of looking did she have any advice. You should have seen the look on her face! She said, "I've lived here 2 years and have not been able to find anyone!". I think she has had her haircut twice in 2 years! AHHHH! She decided to grow her hair out. She has volume and slightly wavy hair, she can get away with it. I tried to stop and picture myself growing my hair out, but kept picturing myself with Cher's hair from her Sonny and Cher days. It was not good!
So my mission began. I was going to find the perfect person to cut my hair and it was going to be a German too. I could be lazy and go to an American on base, but dammit we came all the way here to experience Germany and I am going to experience all of it!
There is a cute little place in town called Cut and Cream. So that would be my first attempt. First of all, you should all know that Michael accuses me of being terrified to talk to Germans because of the language barrier and my neglect to attempt the words I know for fear of sounding like an idiot (he's right, but don't tell him). So somehow I have to look up words on google translator, remember them and use them correctly...hmmm...
I tried to stop by Cut and Cream several times because I can't figure out which numbers I'm supposed to dial (seriously there are like 12 numbers in our phone number and you have to only use some when in the same town, add a 0 when you are somewhere else..blah, blah, blah, so I just avoid the phone). Of course all the signs are in German on the front door, but somehow I figure out they are open 9 to 1 and 2 to 6 tues thru Fri. So I say to myself (for the third day in a row), "OK Sage, tomorrow, tomorrow you are going in there and making an appointment"
D day...I pick Jack up from school and we are going to Cut and Cream to make an appointment dammit..We walk up to the door at 12. "We are so in there" I say to myself trying to muster the courage. I pull on the door...won't budge. I look at the sign that says the times, yup open until 1. Try it again, pull on the door, dammit won't budge. OK tomorrow then...
I finally figure out how to call. Use my limited German to ask if they speak English (of course they do, they all do) and make an appointment for the next day.
10:30 appointment...get there a little earlier and try to pull the door again, won't budge..what the hell? Then I push and in the door goes...oh oops!
Long, long story short Arzu cut my hair. Sweet young German girl who spoke English and laughed at my attempts at German while trying to help me. Looks pretty good too. So the journey was worth it!
Can't wait to try to find a gynecologist...

2 comments:

  1. I totally feel your pain and understand. I had long hair most of our time in Japan and would go over a year to get it cut. It just was too difficult and the base haircuts were like going to the barber sometimes.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh this is good stuff here savage!!! :D

    ReplyDelete