Saturday, February 13, 2010

First Olympic city in the Murnane tour

We hit our first Olympic city this weekend. Garmisch, Germany place of the 1936 winter olympics. Let me tell you it is beautiful and tiny! The size reminded Michael and I alot of Lake Placid. I can't imagine hosting all those people for the Olympics in a town this small. But it was amazing!
We stayed at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. It's a military hotel built in 2006. Awesome resort. We got lucky and got a last minute room for Thurs. and Fri. They book up fast. Our room had a balcony with a view of the mountains that the kids loved.

We arrived Thurs. night at midnight. The drive took us 4 1/2 hours due to weather and traffic (it was supposed to take around 3). We got up at 7 the next morning to hit the mountain.

Gracie and Jack started the German ski schule at 9:30 with Jeremy ("Germy" according to Jack). "Germy" was from Australia obviously fluent in English, so he was perfect for our kids. To try to loosen Gracie up for the lesson I told her that Germy was pretty cute and I wanted to stay for the lesson. She scowled at me and said, "daddy is going to be mad at you, he's your boyfriend". That's daddy's girl! She took good care of Jack during the lesson.

As soon as we dropped the littles off Michael "the ski tyrant" came out. He had a mission to hit as much as possible during the kids 3 hour lesson. Our first run was a blue run that so would have been a black diamond in my "midwest" golf course skiing background. I was peeing in my pants scared at the first part of the mountain. You had to get on the very edge of the hill to see what was down from there. Molly was a little nervous too, but Michael talked her down. It was incredible to watch. From then on I was skiing with two "ski tyrants". The two of them couldn't get enough skiing. I became the whiner about my legs or the mountain was too tough. My 8 year old called me out several times trying to show me the routes on the map. Oh by the way, the beautiful big mountain that you see is Zugspitze, biggest mountain in Germany...awesome and thank God you can't ski down it or I'm sure Michael and Molly would have made me ski down that thing!

12:30 Pick up time for Gracie and Jack. I got there a little early to watch and Jack decided to break into tears because he couldn't come out at that moment. So it was decided that Gracie, Jack and I would go back to the hotel and Molly and Michael would stay. The two of them ended up skiing from 9:30 to 4:30 pretty much straight through.

We decided to eat at the hotel just to make it easier that night. Michael pulled his all time favorite "it's never not funny" drink prank as seen below.

The whole family was asleep at 9pm...we're crazy !!!

Next morning up at 7 and getting ready to go again...uh oh..tears from the boy (in a whiny, annoying, crying voice), "mom I don't want to ski with Germy" a little louder, "mooooommmmmm, I don't want to ski with Germy", even louder and more annoying, "MOOOMMMMM, I AM NOT SKIING WITH GERMY". He cried the whole way there and at one point thought that we were going to have to bag his lesson. However, I kept my mother's words of wisdom in my head, "Sage we dropped you off at ski lessons and you cried every time" and "you need time away from the kids for yourself". Thanks mom!! He was just fine at the end and actually had a good time.

We all called it a day after the lesson ended and decided to go into town. Ate lunch at an incredible Italian restaurant. I needed to refuel with a small meal, just a little something that I almost polished off myself!

We walked through town, but everything was closed due to Fasching (German Mardi Gras). So we started home.
Now as I sit here writing this Gracie is so tired that she is screaming from the top floor of the house for me...Hmmm, I know now why my mom never answered when I was screaming for her..we got a tired crew here tonight!

Ohhhh I almost forgot the best part. We had ski pass cards to pass through turn styles to get on ski lifts. When your ski pass was cleared and you could walk through the read out said "Gute Fahrt" meaning good travels (have a good ski run...). Had to take a picture because the Fahrt thing is just too funny. The Germans just dont' see it. They clearly say "Goot fart" and don't even crack a smile. How can you not laugh at that???















>























































































































No comments:

Post a Comment