Monday, January 11, 2010

School for the little one!!

Yippee!!! With much help from my German neighbor (who speaks 6 languages) and three visits to the Rathaus (town hall), Jack will be starting German kindergarten (preschool) in town on Feb. 1st. He will be going everyday from 8 to 1. It starts at 7am, but mama doesn't do mornings that early!!
It's interesting because I have no idea what we will pay. Tuition is based on how many kids you have. Here's the sticky part...the more kids you have the more money you get from the state. Yes, that's right, Germany will pay you to have more kids! There is a bit of a concern of the low number of kids in the country (due to how expensive everything is, people can afford one maybe two kids) so they are trying a financial incentive. Most people use the money to help pay for school. Because we don't get that money, I have no idea what we will be paying...
Jack says about three words in German as of today. The lady at the Rathaus asked him in German if he spoke any German and he just looked at her. I have no idea if any of the teachers speak English, but we'll find out soon. If someday Jack needs therapy, I'm sure we will be able to pinpoint when his "issues" started..."my mom stuck me in a school with a bunch of people who didn't understand a word I said at age 4".
My newest adventure is trying to find out how to work the damn dishwasher...it's all in German! eeekkkk!

5 comments:

  1. Britt is trying to leave you a comment but she hasn't yet figured this whole thing out. I'll keep you posted.....HA HA HA

    p.s. LOVE the pictures you include!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, in order to post a comment I had to create a blog- crazy! Anyhow, I love this! Queengoob above is my friend from work, major blogger!
    Don't worry about Jack- he'll be talking to the therapist about his sisters cross dressing him and his dad not allowing him to buy apurse before this incident! Blog on sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have tried several times after finding a google account in my list of 500+ (every darn thing needs an account). so this is a test to see if it will go through. I have only been working on this for 30 minutes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand sending your kid off to a school where he couldn't understand anyone. It was the greatest thing I ever did and the scariest to have Sydney taken on a bus by a teacher I have never met and only spoke Japanese. She loved the school though and still sings in Japanese, she is starting with a tutor next month to keep it up. You are doing the right thing and the other kids will be jealous someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Money from the state for kids?! The six Burkes are MOVING TO GERMANY!!! Love the blog, Sage...great writing...you should have been Language Arts, Mamasita! Love You!

    ReplyDelete