Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Simple Slip of the Tongue..

I have been seeking outside help to build my German vocabulary lately. I have one friend whose son goes to school with Jack who is German and fluent in English and a neighbor who is German and speaks English. Both are soo helpful.

So Katrin, my friend at school, has been helping me with some words for the kids. Such as "Die Kinder sind faul (The kids are lazy)...hee! So,I'm always calling my kids crazy or silly so I ask "how do I call them crazy?" Jack ist verruckt (you need two dots above the U, but I don't have a German keyboard) Pronounced "fair ru ct".

Later that day Jack and I were outside talking with my neighbor. They have two little kids and Jack was being goofy. So I looked at the 5 year old girl and said, "Jack ist verrucht". My neighbor smirked so I asked, "did I say it wrong" She said "well, verruckt means crazy, verrucht is like a woman who wears fish net pantyhose and tight shirts" So basically I called my four year old son a whore in front of my neighbors 5 year old daughter. Super!

Now I ask you...look at those two words...verruckt and verrucht. I'm telling you when the Germans pronounce them they hold the "o" on one for like a second longer than the other one, I don't hear the difference at all. So I think I'll stick with "Jack ist faul" for now.

Munich this weekend...we have not seen the sun in I don't know how many days. Pray for my liver that this weekend will be nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment